Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you don't like eggplant just substitute your favorite vegetable...broccoli, spinach, zucchini.
Make and share this Cheesy Eggplant (Aubergine) - Orzo Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups eggplants, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook orzo according to package instructions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferable non-stick, over medium high heat.
- Add eggplant and next 3 ingredients, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomato and cook 2 minutes.
- Add sundried tomatoes, orzo and next 3 ingredients; stir well.
- Spoon orzo mixture into a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and pinenuts, sprinkling over orzo mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Uncover and bak 10 more minutes or until lightly browned.
Based on the other reviews I made a few changes. I made my homemade tomato sauce with added zucchini and mushrooms to replace the 8 oz. of tomato sauce. This dish was not dry at all! I also omitted the parmesan cheese. I sprinkled just a little of the bread crumbs over the casserole and then added shredded mozzarella cheese on top to make it into a baked pasta dish. Next time I will leave out the bread crumbs, pine nuts, and parmesan. I felt like the pine nuts had an overpowering taste. Great flavor! Oh, and for 6 cups of eggplant you only need 1 large eggplant. I bought way too much cause I wasn't sure. Thanks for posting this recipe. :)
This was a bit dry and lacked flavor, although it did better the next day as leftovers than it did the first night. It looks like it will be bursting with flavor, but then it is a bit disappointing. Thanks!
A good, filling meal. Mine came out a bit dry so I think I will add more tomato sauce next time along with some oregano, salt & pepper.