This makes a wonderful weekend brunch, I have made it many time in the past, it's very easy to make too! You can make this using cold cooked finely diced potatoes in place of hash browns, I have made this using leftover potatoes with great success! Feel free to add in green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, skiced mushrooms, or whatever you wish! The skillet cooking time will take slightly longer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (use the shredded hash browns)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 -5 green onions, chopped
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt, divided (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed (can use more or less)
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (or use full-fat milk or 18% table cream)
- 1 pinch italian seasoning
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet; add in frozen shredded potatoes, both onions, cayenne pepper (if using) 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and black pepper to taste; cook for about 8-10 minutes or until just very lightly browned.
- Add in ham and cook for 3 minutes more, mixing occasionally with a wooden spoon or spatula; transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with whipping cream, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon seasoned salt then pour the egg mixture into the baking dish; toss with the potatoes.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with about 2 cups grated cheddar cheese; return to oven uncovered for another 5-8 minutes until the cheese is melted and eggs are set.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.