Prep 8 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours before baking which makes this the perfect brunch casserole! The cayenne is only optional--I like to add it in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb sliced fresh mushrooms (can use less)
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked ham (can use less)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 pinch hot sauce (optional) or 1 pinch Tabasco sauce (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar with 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese then sprinkle evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large skillet melt butter oven medium heat; add in sliced mushrooms and cook until they release there moisture (about 10 minutes).
- Add in green onions and red bell pepper; saute for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the cheese, then sprinkle the chopped ham over the mushroom mixture.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) until thoroughly blended; pour evenly over the ham.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese (or to taste) and return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Hurray! I made one of these as listed and another with just the ham for an Easter party yesterday and both went over fabulously! Thank you very much!
This was an excellent breakfast casserole. I made this for a brunch we had last weekend and it was so easy to prepare, since all the work is done the night before. Made exactly as directed and had wonderful results. It did take a bit longer to bake for me about 50 minutes.
Thanks, this was wonderful, will not be looking for any other breakfast casserole. I baked mine in two glass pie plates, this way, if someone doesnt like mushrooms, they wont have to pick them out, OR COMPLAIN!!!