Recipe by looneytunesfan
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made it yet.
Top Review by sdemkovich
This soup is awesome! I usually add more dill because it gives it a nice "twang". I boil everything (even the potatoes) ahead of time (except the cheese), and then throw it in the crock pot on low (or warm) for about 12 hours. I cut the cheese up (usually use more than the recipe calls for) and throw it in while the crock pot is on low or warm. Excellent, excellent, excellent! I have many requests to make this at gatherings....and usually get rave reviews! This is the only recipe of it's type on your site, and was easy to find tonight when I lost the original that I printed out 3 years ago. Sharon Demkovich
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, finely diced (I prefer 5-6)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 4 cups water
- salt & pepper
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 8 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 1⁄2 cup light butter (I use Land-O-Lakes)
- 1 -2 cup instant potato flakes
- 2 -4 cups milk, warm
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the first 8 ingredients to boil, reduce to simmer.
- Cook until mushy, about 15 minutes.
- Add the Velveeta and butter.
- Heat should be low, stir until both cheese and butter are melted.
- Thicken with instant potato flakes.
- Thin to desired consistency with warm milk.
- To make Broccoli Cheese Soup: Substitute 2 small packages chopped broccoli for potatoes.
- Replace sweet basil for dill weed.