Cheesy Deep-Fried Hush Puppies
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, onion, flour, salt, baking soda, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, egg and lemon juice; fold into cornmeal mixture, along with cheese.
- Mix just until blended.
- In a large pot or an electric frying pan, pour in vegetable oil to a 2-inch depth; heat to 350F.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot oil; turn to brown evenly.
- Cook, turning frequently, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain.
- Serve immediately.