Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe was a winner of the Pillsbury Bake-Off contest many years ago, I've been making this recipe for the past 20 years, it's a very easy recipe and I have never met anyone who doesn't like it, and it has remained a family favorite! I make it using grated cheddar in place of the slices, and I always increase the amount of cheese slightly, I also add in a small amount of cinnamon to the crust.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, slices
- 2 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, baking soda and butter; set aside 1-1/2 cups of the crumb mixture, then pat the rest into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the cheese slices on top of the crumb mixture.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the apples with the sugar, then layer over the cheese slices.
- Add in the walnuts to the reserved 1-1/2 cups mixture, then sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely, then cut into 2-inch squares.