Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by a lovely neighbour many years ago. It was one of her favourites whenever her vegetarian daughter and her family visited. It could be adapted to use whatever vegetables are on hand. The potatoes with rice seem strange but they go surprisingly well!
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 125 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 large potatoes, diced
- 4 cups cheese sauce (packet sauce is fine)
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook the rice and onion together.
- Drain well and place the rice and onion at the base of a large casserole dish.
- Sauté the curry powder in the butter for a couple of minutes.
- Add the carrot, zucchinis and celery and cook gently for 8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Cover the rice with the vegetables.
- Cook the potatoes until just tender and place over the vegetables.
- Make four cups of cheese sauce and pour over the vegetables.
- Cover with grated cheese and breadcrumbs (mixed).
- Cook in a moderate over for about 30 minutes.