Recipe by CarolAnn
This is my Mom's recipe and is a staple at every holiday gathering. She calls it Spinach Madeleine -- we just call it great. You can "heat" it up by using jalepeno cheese or adding jalepeno peppers, which is how my mom usually makes it. Great any time -- not just holidays.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup reserved water, liquid from cooking the spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 ounces processed cheese (I usually by Kraft but you could also use Velveeta)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spinach according to package directions, drain and reserve liquid.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add onion, cover and cook slowly until softened.
- Add flour, blending until smooth, and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add evaporated milk and reserved liquid from spinach, stirring constantly.
- Cook until thickened and smooth.
- Add seasonings and cheese, stir.
- Add spinach and mix well.
- Place in buttered casserole dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.