This is my Mom's recipe and is a staple at every holiday gathering. She calls it Spinach Madeleine -- we just call it great. You can "heat" it up by using jalepeno cheese or adding jalepeno peppers, which is how my mom usually makes it. Great any time -- not just holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup reserved water, liquid from cooking the spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 ounces processed cheese (I usually by Kraft but you could also use Velveeta)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook spinach according to package directions, drain and reserve liquid.
- 3In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- 4Add onion, cover and cook slowly until softened.
- 5Add flour, blending until smooth, and cook about 1 minute.
- 6Slowly add evaporated milk and reserved liquid from spinach, stirring constantly.
- 7Cook until thickened and smooth.
- 8Add seasonings and cheese, stir.
- 9Add spinach and mix well.
- 10Place in buttered casserole dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Creamed Spinach Madeleine
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.9
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 735.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: