Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I like to make this in the slow cooker, but it can easily be made on the stovetop as well in a portion of the time.
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1⁄2 large red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) can crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Put the first 10 ingredients in the slow cooker with the next 4 spices.
- Cover and cook on high.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, slowly whisking in the cornstarch and milk.
- Transfer milk to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crabmeat and cheese and turn the cooker down to low.
- **For thicker broth, repeat step #3-4, using broth from the slow cooker instead of more milk (melt butter and stir in corn starch, then adding broth from the cooker).