Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A petite main dish for four. Sharp cheddar is used in this dish to boost the flavor of the sauce. Don't use reduced fat cheese in this one, it tends to toughen up in this dish.
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, cut
- 6 ounces imitation crabmeat or 6 ounces crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons round crackers, crushed (about 3 crackers)
- Cook the broccoli according to package directions; drain.
- In 4 individual 14 to 16 ounce au gratin dishes or oval casseroles arrange broccoli and crab flavored fish pieces; set dishes aside.
- For sauce, in medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in flour and pepper.
- Stir in milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; remove from the heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Spoon sauce over broccoli and fish in dishes.
- Cover dishes with foil.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until bubbly. (If desired, refrigerate casseroles for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, bake, covered, in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly)
- Combine Parmesan cheese and crushed crackers; sprinkle over casseroles.