Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, White or Yellow
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
- 1 large egg, Slightly Beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Combine the dry ingredients, then stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Combine the egg with the milk and oil.
- Stir into the cheddar mixture, mixing until just moistened.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into squares, then serve warm.
This was a nice change up from my usual buttermilk cornbread. It has a nice light texture without being dry and the underlying rich cheese flavor makes it a treat alongside a soup supper. I added green chiles. I picked it because the quick cooking time was the clincher for a fast dinner tonight. Made in a heated cast iron skillet with a bit of butter melted in it.
This is probably the best cornbread I have ever made. Not at all dry, just perfect. Thanks.