Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
We really enjoyed this corn bread with pork stew - think it would be wonderful with chili. It also makes a lot - 2 pans - I froze the second baking dish for a later date. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (I used skim milk)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 3⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I used 2% Cheddar cheese)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 2 8 inch square pans with Pam.
- In a large bowl combine first 7 ingredients (flour - pepper).
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and then whisk in the milk and eggs.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Stir in corn and half of the cheese.
- Pour mixture into prepared pans and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and spread butter and sprinkle with the salt if desired.
Delicious cornbread made to go with my soup for today's lunch! I made a half batch and now I wish I had made more. I think this cornbread batter would make great muffins as well. Will definitely make this recipe again. Made for PRMR, May, 2014.