Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A southern delight. This will serve 8.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake 30 minutes at 375°F.
I made this 2 times and each time I can't believe how good it is. It's a favorite of ours.
This is a very good corn bread. I used oil instead of shortening and the result was great. One question though. Is the shortening supposed to be melted?