This can be either a side dish, or cut smaller squares to serve as an appetizer. From Taste of Home, 2001 Annual Recipes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients. Stir in eggs, corn, ricotta, onion, Parmesan. oil, and 4 oz. mozzarella; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350, for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares.
This was super yummy! :) A great comfort food. My 13 yo DD made it by herself (Dad just had to show her what ricotta and parm-reggiano was!) I used a no salt added can of creamed corn (instead of kernel corn, by accident), 1 1/2 C of mozzarella and whole wheat flour. It was so moist and everyone loved it. Definitely a keeper. Ours did not come out as brown as the picture.
This was a hit at a brunch I took them to. Even my very critical mother liked them! I would like to try them with a little jalapeno or cayenne pepper next time. I got 3 dozen small squares.