Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
The Practical Pantry
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons cornmeal on the bottom and sides of a greased 8x4-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining cornmeal, flour, sage, baking powder, salt, pepper, baking soda and cayenne if desired.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store leftover bread in the refrigerator.
My husband really loved this - and he didn't think he would. My girls found it a bit dry, but otherwise they liked it as well!