Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This baked corn casserole is a popular side dish at Smokestack restaurant in Kansas City. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue.
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 lbs fresh corn kernels (may sub frozen)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Heat bacon in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add butter and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar, and paprika, and cook until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in corn; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9″ × 13″ baking dish and bake until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes.