Recipe by Sharon123
This is a traditional Southern favorite, with creamed corn added for extra creaminess. It's hearty enough to be a meatless main dish!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable bouillon granules (or chicken granules)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan bring water and vegetable (or chicken) granules to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in onion and the 1/2 cup cheese.
- Stir in eggs, milk, and corn.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 1-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in center.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Let stand 1 to 2 minutes before serving to melt cheese.
- Makes 4 servings.