Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fluffy soufflés with a surprise in the middle. You can easily sub the broccoli for cauliflower or leeks if desired.
- 150 g broccoli florets
- 40 g butter
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 25 g plain flour
- 150 ml milk
- 100 g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 190C(375F).
- Boil or steam broccoli until just tender.
- Grease four ramekin dishes with some of the butter and dust with the parmesan.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan and add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir well until it is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and add the mustard, cayenne and cheese. Gradually beat in the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Stir a little egg white into the cheese mix and then carefully fold in the rest.
- Divide the broccoli between the dishes and top with the cheese mix. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Great with cherry tomatoes and toast.