Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is an excellent light vegetarian lunch, or a good side to grilled chicken or steaks. I load it up with cilantro and sometimes use green olives in place of the black; add enough jalapenos to suit your tongue. And, it's equally delicious with yellow summer squash. This serves 2 as a light lunch; 3-4 as a side dish.
- 2 small zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced (more or less to suit your taste)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives or 1⁄4 cup green olives
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- salt and black pepper (keep in mind the green olives will make it plenty salty)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, combine zucchini slices, tomato, onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic, chili peppers, wine and water.
- Mix well; cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes- don't let zucchini get mushy (and keep an eye on it; the liquid cooks down and the pan can go dry).
- Stir in the olives and cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue stirring over low heat briefly just until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.