Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm always on the lookout for new Mexican recipes. This one looks really good.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, divided
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.
- Warm the tortillas; brush one side with oil. Spoon 1/4 cup of beef mixture off center on oiled side of tortillas. Top with 1 tablespoon each of salsa, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and roll up. Secure with toothpicks; place in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Brush with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, at 450* for 10 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, place chimichangas on a bed of lettuce and tomato. Top with remaining salsa and sour cream and guacamole if desired.