Top Review by rpgaymer
Delicious comfort food! I actually tried to bring down the calories by using lean beef franks, skim milk and homemade low-fat chili, but it was still delicious. This really tastes like a chili cheese dog, and I wouldn't leave out the yellow mustard because it's the perfect topping. I'd love to try making this with a cornbread mix instead of bisquick next time!
- 3 -4 cups chili, canned, homemade Chili With Beef 'n Beans, be sure it is not too soupy
- 6 hot dogs, uncooked, sliced thin the more the merrier
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided into (4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup original Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup milk, any type
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- squirts yellow mustard, if desired
- chopped onion, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Spray (deep) 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk and eggs with wire whisk or fork until blended.
- Pour a thin layer of prepared Bisquick batter to the bottom of the pie plate.
- Drop dollops of chili over bottom of pie plate, spread out a bit and top with sliced hotdogs and 1/2 of cheese.
- Pour remaining prepared Bisquick batter over chili & cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes, top with remaining cheese then continue baking for 5-10 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean and center does not jiggle when shook. Depending on how deep your pie plate is, it may take close to 60 minutes to bake. NOTE: If it is getting too brown, cover edges with foil. and continue baking.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with desired toppings.