1/1 Photo of Cheesy Chicken & Veggie Mac
This is from Kraft Foods for the most part -- I have altered it quite a bit -- the original called for boxed mac-n-cheese and while both DH love the boxed dinner stuff, we love homemade more so assuming I have time, I make it this way and sometimes when I am busy I sub the Kraft dinner instead. I usually use broccoli and cauliflower for my veggies since that is what we like. Sometimes I use peas and we like that just as much! Also, the cayenne is not that much for us we like spicy -- if you don't cut it down or leave it out! :) Also, at the bottom of the directions, I will put my method for cooking chicken for recipes like this -- easy and good! Cook time for chicken is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot, cook elbow noodles according to the package directions, and add frozen veggies during the last 5 minutes of cooking. When done cooking, drain noodle and veggie mixture.
- 2Return noodles and veggies to pot, add chicken and, over medium heat, stir in cheese, milk, butter and spices until creamy and everything is warmed through.
- 3Dish directly onto your plate and enjoy!
- 4HOW I COOK MY CHICKEN:
- 5Depending on how much chicken I have to cook, I use a 2:1 ratio of water to chicken broth.
- 6I add spices to the water/chicken broth depending on what dish. For example, I use cumin and cayenne for Mexican, and I use Italian seasoning, fresh ground black pepper and a bit of olive oil for Italian dishes. For this dish I just use the chicken broth, a bit of salt and small splash of worsteshire sauce.
- 7Bring the water/broth/spices mix to a rolling boil. Add chicken breast to pot, bring back to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat down and simmer for ten minutes. Then take off heat completely and let sit in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- 8Take chicken out and let cool until you can handle it.
- 9Shred or cube the chicken.
- 10Add to the dish it was intended for!
- 11NOTE: I should probably note, this works very well for medium sized BONELESS SKINLESS breasts -- if using large or bone in pieces, it will probably take longer. Just check frequently.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Chicken & Veggie Mac
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 867.6
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 2009.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 48.5 g