Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I perfected this recipe by "tweaking" to figure out a copycat recipe of Max and Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup. It tastes so similar, and even if you haven't heard of Max and Erma's (it's a chain but only in certain areas), well, it's so yummy I just had to share it with the world. I usually throw everything into a slow cooker (my go-to method of making soups), but I'm sure it could be cooked stove top as well. I also like trying different add-ins (such as black beans, pepper slices), but those aren't in the original. Enjoy!!!
- 12 ounces chicken broth
- 16 ounces cheese sauce (Cheez Whiz or generic, I usually buy generic)
- 10 ounces tomatoes (Ro-Tel) or 10 ounces diced green chilies (Ro-Tel)
- 18 ounces cheddar cheese (I use Progresso "Recipe Starters") or 18 ounces cheese soup (I use Progresso "Recipe Starters")
- 12 ounces chicken breasts (though I'm sure you could use cooked chicken if you'd like)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (I would adjust to your preferred level of spiciness though)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- corn tortilla strips (garnish) or crushed tortilla chips (garnish)
- shredded cheese (garnish)
- Place all ingredients except the tortilla strips / chips and shredded cheese into the crockpot, and let cook until desired temperature is reached. Garnish each bowl of soup with the shredded cheese and tortilla strips.