Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A favorite from Betty Crocker's Best-Loved Recipes. Omit the chicken and substitute additional red or yellow bell pepper for a vegetarian meal. I serve this yummy dish with warm crusty bread for dipping into the cheese sauce and a salad.
- 1 (7 ounce) packagedried cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- Cook and drain tortellini as directed.
- While tortellini is cooking, heat oil in 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Remove from saucepan; keep warm.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook bell pepper, shallots and garlic in butter, stirring frequently, until bell pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in flour and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in mozzarella and swiss cheeses until melted. Stir in tortellini and chicken until coated. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I have made this many times, as I have the Betty Crocker cookbook that it's in. This is a very good recipe! I like the vegetarian adaptations listed by messie Chef and can't wait to try it that way!
Very, very nice weeknight dinner! The flavors blended well. I added 1 1/2 chicken stock cube (1 cube makes 2 cups) for added flavor.