Messie Chef's Note:
A favorite from Betty Crocker's Best-Loved Recipes. Omit the chicken and substitute additional red or yellow bell pepper for a vegetarian meal. I serve this yummy dish with warm crusty bread for dipping into the cheese sauce and a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (7 ounce) package dried cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1Cook and drain tortellini as directed.
- 2While tortellini is cooking, heat oil in 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Remove from saucepan; keep warm.
- 3Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook bell pepper, shallots and garlic in butter, stirring frequently, until bell pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in flour and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- 4Stir in mozzarella and swiss cheeses until melted. Stir in tortellini and chicken until coated. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Chicken Tortellini
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.6
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 128.8 mg
- Sodium 471.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 37.5 g