Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
I came up with this trying to duplicate a frozen dinner from my childhood. This is my childrens' most requested dinner. I am sometimes inconsistent though and will add a can of either cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup to the white sauce.
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped
- 18 jumbo pasta shells, cooked per package directions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix chopped chicken, egg, ricotta, parsley, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan in bowl and set aside.
- Make white sauce: Melt butter in saucepan and add flour.
- Cook a little, but don't let butter brown.
- Add milk and salt, pepper and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce in bottom of pan.
- Fill cooled shells with chicken mixture.
- Pour white sauce over shells and drizzle rest of marinara over top.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over all.
- Cover and bake about 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes.
I made these for my co workers for one of my lunches. I made a couple changes. I added one box of chopped spinach (chopped and drained) to the chicken/cheese mixture. I also added a couple tsp of minced garlic to the mixture. It got rave reviews and several requests to make them again.
This was a delicious recipe, and I agree about the addition of fresh garlic. Will do that next time to give it a jolt of flavor. Loved the two sauces, it was a huge hit, thanks so much for sharing!
Excellent recipe - a little bland for us so in the future plan to add garlic to the white sauce and onions the chicken/cheese mixture. The rest of the ingredients are nicely balanced and the cook time is spot on. I will definitely make this again and recommend this recipe.