Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This hearty soup never fails to please my family when I make it. It has flavours that are sure to make both kids and adults happy - bacon, cheese, chicken, in a creamy broth.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lightly oil (use olive oil) the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Cook bacon over medium heat, in the pan, until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan.
- Set aside.
- Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add corn; stir well.
- Place flour in a bowl.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Stir in cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle over top.
Evelyn, a good soup, perfect for cold weather. I did add sauteed chopped carrots and celery just because I think those flavors belong in soup. Also added a splash of sherry at the end. We enjoyed this hearty soup and have plenty left for another meal. Thanks for posting. . . . Janet
This soup just hits the spot for a cold rainy day! I made some amount adjustments and used milk and half and half cream otherwise made as stated, this is a great soup Ev! I served it with homemade crusty buns and a small side salad, we enjoyed this, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
Good soup! Did add more potatoes so almost made it a cheesey potato soup with chicken. Great on a cool night and good to stick to your ribs! Made for Zaar Tag. Thanx Evelyn!!