Recipe by Ppaperdoll
This recipe came from Country Home magazine's "Stay for Supper" cookbook. It's one of the first recipes I learned how to cook when I was a newly-wed and has been a favorite ever since. Serve it over slices of your favorite cornbread. Also good over steamed rice.
Top Review by sugarpea
Served this over toasted french bread and both Dh and I liked it very much. It's great comfort food and a wonderful way to use leftover poultry. Didn't and won't change a thing.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey breast
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- fresh tarragon, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and save for later.
- In same skillet, add oil and fry onion, mushrooms, green and red pepper until soft.
- Add flour, stock cube, nutmeg, and black pepper, then milk and water all at once.
- Cook and stir until sauce thickens.
- Turn heat down to low, add chicken and cheese, stirring until chicken is heated through.