Recipe by Captain's Lady
You can make the sauce with almost any cheese that you like. I used these two just because I had them on hand. Each cheese will give a different taste to the dish. Baby Bella mushrooms also work instead of Creminis.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 4 chicken sausage, fully cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, sliced
- 4 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. When bubbles form around edges, add garlic and onion flakes. Saute until golden.
- Add flour and stir until all ingredients have come together (start with smaller amount of flour and add more if needed). Stir in milk slowly, whisking constantly. If some lumps form, just keep whisking as sauce comes to temperature. Add seasonings as sauce comes to a simmer.
- Slowly add cheeses and whisk in as they melt. Taste and add more seasonings if desired. Simmer until desire consistency. Set aside on low heat.
- Slice chicken sausage into desired sized rounds. In a separate skillet, saute sausage rounds until sides have browned. Add sausage rounds to sauce and toss to coat.
- In the same skillet that sausage was cooked in, melt 1 Tbsp butter. Add sliced cremini mushrooms. Saute until golden. Add mushrooms to sauce and toss to coat.
- Add cooked egg noodles to sauce mixture and warm over low heat until desired temperature. Serve with Parmesan cheese on top.