Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is easily adaptable to your own taste. Substitute poultry seasoning, chili powder or cumin for the mustard powder; use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup in place of the veloute sauce; use brown rice, barley or quinoa instead of white rice. If you're in a hurry, you can use 1 (10 ounce) can of cream of chicken soup plus 1/2 tsp mustard powder in place of the veloute sauce.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (2 medium)
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add flour, mustard, salt and white pepper. Whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes until it is a pale golden color and starchy taste is gone. Slowly add the liquids, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until mixture is boiling and thickened. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; saute until onion is translucent and vegetables are soft.
- Add chicken, rice, milk, mayonnaise, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and veloute sauce. Stir well. Adjust seasoning if needed. Pour into a 13x9x2" casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-35 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted and bubbly.