Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty tortillas filled with chicken, spring onions and goats' cheese or, for a milder cheese flavouring, replace the tangy goats' cheese with ricotta cheese or any other soft cheese. Served with avocado and garlic dip, diced cucumber and tomatoes, these are ideal for a light meal or a supper snack. Tortillas have been a staple of the Mexican diet since the time of the Aztecs. I have adapted this recipe, from an International Masters '1001 recipes for pan or wok' recipe card, and posted it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. 350g = 12 ounces; 175g = 6 ounces.
- 1 egg white
- 1 bunch spring onions or 1 bunch shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 350 g chicken breast fillets, cooked
- 175 g goat cheese
- 29.58 ml fresh coriander, chopped, plus sprigs to garnish
- 29.58 ml sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 8 flour tortillas
- 14.79 ml sunflower oil
- lime wedge, to garnish
- Beat the egg white, trim and slice the spring onions, peel and crush the garlic, shred the chicken, crumble the cheese into a bowl; add the spring onions, garlic, coriander, chicken, chilli sauce and lime juice and toss together.
- Spoon equal quantities of chicken mixture onto the tortillas, brush the edges of each tortilla with egg white, fold in half and press to seal.
- Brush a large non-stick pan with half the oil and gently fry half the tortillas for 5 minutes on each side, until browned. Keep warm and repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas. Garnish the quesadillas with coriander and lime wedges and serve.
We made these quesadillas for dinner last night and I really enjoyed them! I love goat cheese, so I knew that I would love this dish. I grilled my chicken on the BBQ before shredding it, which made it nice and tender and juicy. I followed all of the ingredients and instructions as posted. I didn't even top it with anything, it was good on it's own, though I do think tomato would be nice as you mentioned. I'll certainly make this again. Made for ZWT5. Thanks!
What a divine twist on the traditional quesadilla. I used fat free ricotta, a suggested alternative and tossed a couple of mushrooms into the filling. The lime and cilantro unify the chicken and cheese. I served mine with salsa verde which complemented the dish just perfectly. Thanks! Made for Potluck Tag.
Deliciously easy! I used a brie spread type of cheese instead of goat cheese other than that made as posted. Love the cilantro. Thanks bluemoon downunder for posting. Made for Potluck tag.