Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Tasty tortillas filled with chicken, spring onions and goats' cheese or, for a milder cheese flavouring, replace the tangy goats' cheese with ricotta cheese or any other soft cheese. Served with avocado and garlic dip, diced cucumber and tomatoes, these are ideal for a light meal or a supper snack. Tortillas have been a staple of the Mexican diet since the time of the Aztecs. I have adapted this recipe, from an International Masters '1001 recipes for pan or wok' recipe card, and posted it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. 350g = 12 ounces; 175g = 6 ounces.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We made these quesadillas for dinner last night and I really enjoyed them! I love goat cheese, so I knew that I would love this dish. I grilled my chicken on the BBQ before shredding it, which made it nice and tender and juicy. I followed all of the ingredients and instructions as posted. I didn't even top it with anything, it was good on it's own, though I do think tomato would be nice as you mentioned. I'll certainly make this again. Made for ZWT5. Thanks!
- 1 egg white
- 1 bunch spring onions or 1 bunch shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 350 g chicken breast fillets, cooked
- 175 g goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped, plus sprigs to garnish
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- lime wedge, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg white, trim and slice the spring onions, peel and crush the garlic, shred the chicken, crumble the cheese into a bowl; add the spring onions, garlic, coriander, chicken, chilli sauce and lime juice and toss together.
- Spoon equal quantities of chicken mixture onto the tortillas, brush the edges of each tortilla with egg white, fold in half and press to seal.
- Brush a large non-stick pan with half the oil and gently fry half the tortillas for 5 minutes on each side, until browned. Keep warm and repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas. Garnish the quesadillas with coriander and lime wedges and serve.