Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe found at Saveur.com,, but originally posted at bitchincamero blog.
Make and share this Cheesy Chicken & Plantain Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ripe plantains
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 425°. Peel and halve the plantains and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until they are cooked through and beginning to brown. Remove from oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
- While the plantains are baking, saute the onions and peppers in the olive oil over medium-high hear for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the chicken, salt and tomato sauce and stir to combine over the heat. If they chicken looks too dry, add a 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock. Saute for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Grease a small baking dish, then place the plantains at the bottom in one layer. If your baking dish is small, you may have to layer here. Just place enough plantains to cover the bottom in one layer. Place half the chicken on top of the plantains and spread out into an even layer. Do the same with the beans (and any extra plantains you have), then top off with the remaining chicken. Spread the cheese over the top in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 365°.