Recipe by LuuvBunny
This recipe is from the WebMD.com site.I made a few changes because of what I had on hand.I used turkey instead of chicken,chicken broth in replace of the white wine and mozzarella instead of gruyere.It was very tasty and it makes a lot so it's great for leftovers.
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup gruyere or 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets and cook until the pasta and florets are tender,about 4 minutes more.
- Drain,rinse and return to pot.
- Meanwhile,heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook,stirring until tender,2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until reduced slightly,about 1 minute.
- Whisk milk,flour,salt & pepper together in a bowl and add to the pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium -high heat,stirring frequently.
- Cook,stirring until thickened,about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth.
- Stir chicken and mustard into the cheese sauce;cook until heated through,about 2 minutes.
- Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower.
- Serve sprinkled with chives.