Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Grated cheddar cheese can be used on top of the casserole in place of the breadcrumbs.
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, seeded and chopped (use red or green)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish (or use a 13 x 9-inch baking dish).
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt until al dente; drain then place in a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon butter or oil, set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery and jalapeno pepper; saute for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add in soup, half and half or milk, cooked chicken and seaoned salt; bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring with a wooden spoon until heated through and well combined.
- Add the chicken mixture to the cooked noodles in the bowl; toss to combine then season with black pepper to taste and more salt if desired.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- In a bowl mix together breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese then sprinkle evenly over casserole (if you are using grated cheddar cheese omit this step and sprinkle the grated cheese ontop of casserole the last few minutes of baking).
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the topping is golden brown.
Also used leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Kid's gobbled it up. We liked it too but I think the jalapeno was a little overpowering for me. Next time I'm going to use 1/2 a jalapeno (or a smaller one, mine was kind of big). Other than that it had good flavor, was very simple, and was a good use of leftover turkey. I was out of breadcrumbs so I just put the cheese on top. Next time I'll try it with the breadcrumbs.
Made with leftover turkey per the recipe. Loved it, but will try the cheese topping next time. Not sure We liked the the breadcrumbs on it.