Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mexican Dinner Healthy Style
Make and share this Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas With Brown Taco Rice, and Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
To make this you will need
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup of shredded cheese
- 1⁄4 cup taco seasoning
- 4 tablespoons cumin (2 for rice, 2 for chicken)
- 2 green onions
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3 whole wheat wraps
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- First, I tossed some chicken breast in a pan with some olive oil, onions and green pepper. While that started to sizzle up I measured out some brown rice and put equal amounts of chicken broth (I almost always do this to my rice as it gives it soooo much flavor). I also added a dash of cumin, salt and pepper to taste and about 3 tbs. of salsa (Rotel, or diced tomatoes would work also). Then I covered it up and let it simmer on low. (Depending on the type of rice the amount of time changes.).
- Once the chicken was cooked all the way Jason helped me shred it -- WARNING, unless you have no nerves in your fingers like Jason wait till that chicken cools down a little. The Shredded Chicken goes back in the pan along with some the Taco seasoning and a cup of water. I also add a little bit of cumin because I love it. When the water thickens up to more of a sauce texture, scoop the chicken into tortillas. I always use the whole wheat kind.
- You can squish the wraps together to make more enchiladas if you have more people coming over, for just the two of us I made 3 and we had leftovers (they end up being big and filling).
- Next, I pour enchilada sauce over the top which helps to keep them moist, and is relatively low in fat (I only used about 1/2 the can). Sprinkle with some reduced fat shredded cheese and scallions and into the oven they go.
- Bake until bubbly at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.
- I served mine with the brown taco rice and some black beans. YUMMY!