Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is great to make for get-togethers and parties or whenever you are expecting friends and family, or a good Sunday evening meal that will give you leftovers for the week. My mom used to make this when I was a kid, and now I've added my own twists to it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs diced chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 lb chopped bacon
- 1 onion
- 3⁄4 cup corn (optional) or 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 banana peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 28 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 lb shredded taco cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 lime
- 1 small bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- Dice chicken and bacon and start browning in a large skillet.
- Dice peppers and onions and add to chicken when it is 2/3 browned.
- Continue to saute and add garlic, lime, cilantro, corn and seasonings after a few minutes.
- Add re-fried beans and 1/3 of the cheese and stir into filling until everything is soft and melted and then turn off the heat.
- Pour a third of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a foil pan or casserole dish.
- Take half of the tortillas and fill with the chicken filling and roll up to create a bottom layer in the casserole dish. As you make the enchilada rolls can can also pre-cut them into halves or thirds for easier serving.
- Add a little cheese, some more enchilada sauce and some salsa.
- Fill the rest of the tortillas to make an upper layer and then top with remaining sauce, salsa, and cheese.
- Place in oven and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the top cheese is nice and browned.
- Serve and enjoy!