Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Outstanding burger with an excellent Relish!!! Found this gem in “Muscle & Fitness” Magazine (Aug ‘05). Hope you enjoy it!
Cheesy Chicken Burgers
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken, fresh
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (Fat Free works well) or 2 tablespoons sour cream (Fat Free works well)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (Low-fat works well)
- 7 ounces corn, drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat; add Onion and Garlic and sauté 3-5 minutes; add Bell Pepper and sauté 3-5 minutes more.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a large bowl; add Chicken, Yogurt, Breadcrumbs, Thyme and Cheese and season with Salt and Pepper to taste; cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place all Relish ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until all the sugar has dissolved; cover and cook two minutes, then remove lid and cook one minute more or until relish has thickened. Relish makes about 10 servings.
- Spray barbeque grill with nonstick spray and preheat to medium high.
- Form meat mixture into six patties; place patties on grill and cook 8-10 minutes per side or until browned and cooked thorough.
- Serve burgers on buns with Corn & Carrot Relish on top and leafy lettuce under burger.
Outstanding - I really wish I could give it 10 stars. It's tasty, healthy and filling. Plus, the burgers stayed together very well. We topped ours with both the relish and some salsa. I added a pinch of cayenne pepper to the relish, too 'cuz we like it hot!! Served them on toasted buns.Thanks!
Delicious burgers! I skipped the relish because hubby doesn't care for toppings other than tomatoes and lettuce. Thanks!
I substituted the fresh thyme for fresh coriander (cilantro) since I had it on hand, and I added some chopped mango. Wow! What a fantastic, healthier alternative to a hamburger. Can't wait to try it with other combinations of veggies and herbs. Thanks!