Recipe by lolablitz
I modified Loves2Teach's great recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Rice (#67521) to make a main dish casserole without canned soups. Enjoy!
Top Review by Mary B.
Delicious! Hubby and I loved it. The only change I made was, I used brown rice and cooked it in homemade stock. The thyme is such a great taste in the sauce, don't skip it. This was a great way to use up leftover chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water, adding bouillon cubes.
- Add rice and broccoli and cook covered on low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat butter over medium heat in medium pan. Add onions and cook until softened and just starting to carmelize, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add thyme, chicken, mayonnaise and milk, stirring to combine.
- Once rice mixture is ready, remove from heat and dump in 9x11" glass pyrex pan.
- Add chicken and sauce mixture, 1 1/2 cups of cheese and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cook at 350 degrees approx 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.