Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother originally developed this recipe -- she always had a great knack for making something great out of basic ingredients on hand. Since those days, I have made a couple of modifications to the dish just to boost the flavor and the eye appeal. Essentially, this dish is chicken and broccoli in a cheese sauce which is poured over pasta. It is very tasty and more filling that you can imagine. While the dish is likely packed with calories and carbohydrates, you can eat just a small serving to feel satisfied. Also, it is a one-dish meal, and inexpensive to prepare, so you don't need any side dishes. I hope that you enjoy it as much as my own family does.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 lb linguine, dry weight
- 15 ounces Cheese Whiz
- 10 ounces canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned mushroom slices, drained
- 2 cups broccoli florets, fresh
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, West Indies-type (yellow hot sauce, substitute ( 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 6 quarts water, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh parsley sprig, garnish
- Boil the pasta in 3 quarts of salted water (using the 1/2 teaspoon of salt), also adding 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to the water. Drain the pasta when it is tender and return it to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and toss as it melts. Cover and set aside.
- Boil three more quarts of plain water. Boil the chicken breasts 25-30 minutes. Drain and set aside until chicken cools and then chop it into 3/4" chunks.
- In a very large no-stick skillet, pour in the remaining olive oil (2 2/3 tablespoons) and the remaining butter (1 tablespoon). Over medium heat, sauté the onion for one minute and then add the garlic and garlic powder. After 30 seconds more, add the chicken stock and cheese whiz.
- As soon as the Cheese Whiz is melted and blended, add in the chicken and reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the chicken is simmering, place the broccoli florets in a microwave-proof bowl, add two tablespoons of water and cover with cling wrap. Steam the broccoli for 2 minutes on the high setting. Drain the broccoli and add it to the chicken in the cheese sauce.
- Add the mushrooms and the hot sauce (or pepper flakes). Allow to simmer, covered, for five more minutes.
- Serve by plating up individual plates of linguini and pouring the chicken-broccoli-cheese sauce over the top. Garnish each plate with parsley.
- NOTE: The West Indies Hot Sauce is fairly mild so do not substitute Habanero-based or Scotch Bonnet-based sauces which are VERY hot. I like the West Indies sauce for the flavor it imparts and the fact that it does not change the yellow color of the dish, but you could also substitute 1/4 teaspoon of regular ground red pepper, if you prefer that over red pepper flakes, without making the dish spicy hot.