Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a classic in my family. It freezes well. I frequently make this for new moms so they don't have to worry about cooking for a night. This is good served over rice or couscous. You can decrease the chicken or broccolli depending on your taste. You can use low fat cream of chicken soup.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli florets (roughly)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the chicken - pan fry, poach or broil - whatever is easiest.
- Cut chicken into pieces same size as broccoli.
- Sprinkle with the pepper.
- Steam or boil the broccoli briefly.
- Run broccoli under cold water.
- Mix together the soup, mayo, lemon juice and curry.
- Layer in 9 x 13 pan in this order: broccoli, chicken, soup mix, 1 cup of the cheddar.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Do not bake if you wish to freeze it.
This is delicious! It's a healthier version of my grandma's recipe, and to make it even healthier, I replaced the cream soup with the same amount of greek yogurt. I also added 1/2 tsp of dry mustard and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder. It was very substantial and satisfying!
This is a great recipe--I've had it myself for about ten years, and it is a family favorite with us as well. We usually serve it over rice, with crescent rolls on the side. Sometimes I don't even bother with the layering, I just toss it all in together. Since my husband loves American cheese, we use that, and it works just as well.