Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is another combination of recipes.Update: 8/10/2008 - One time saver I can think of is to buy your onions already sliced, muchrooms caps, and make bacon ahead of time(keep in airtight container for 1 day)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, caps only
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (pounded thin)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed (optional)
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- garlic powder
- mayonnaise, for serving (optional)
- mustard, for serving (optional)
- 1 French baguette, halved lengthwise (about 12-inch long)
- 3⁄4 cup jarlsberg cheese or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- In a 10" nonstick skillet, melt butter & crushed red pepper flakes(if using) over medium high heat and cook onions; uncovered stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until onions are golden. (if desired add a bit of brn sugar & it will help the onions caramelize).
- Remove onions from skillet and keep warm.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- In same skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat and cook chicken 4 minutes or until chicken is throughly cooked, turning once.
- In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat and brown mushrooms for about 6 minutes, till all water is absorbed.
- To serve, arrange chicken on 1/2 bread, then top with hot onions, mushrooms, cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 375ºF for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with remaining bread.
- To serve, cut in half.
- Sprinkle with thyme and, if desired, salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
A bit time-consuming for a sandwich, but still a good filling sandwich. I added some mayonnaise and mustard when serving.