Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a simple throw-together dish I came up with that is great for a Sunday after-church meal. Note: You can fry your own bacon for this recipe. I like the taste of bacon but cannot handle the lingering smell it leaves in the house when you fry it, so I just buy the jarred bacon for the few times a year I use it.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
- 0.5 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits (I used Hormel brand)
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated colby cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Grease the bottom of the crock pot.
- Layer 1/2 the tater tots on the bottom of the pot.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
- Combine the two cheeses, and sprinkle 1/3 of it over the bacon and tots.
- Top cheese with the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top chicken with another 1/3 of cheese.
- Sprinkle with another 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
- Add remainder of the tater tots.
- Top with final 1/3 of the cheese.
- Pour milk over the top.
- Set crock pot to high and cook 3-4 hours.
The only thing different was I didn't use a crockpot! I layered everything in a 9x13 pan and baked at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I cut up the chicken as well. I was so hoping for leftovers. lol The family polished off the entire pan - this is a huge deal at my house! Congrats on a winner! IF I could give this more stars I definitely would. Made for the October 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
I followed what most of the reviews said, because this recipe is very bland. I layer the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish with about half a bag of tater tots, top that with diced chicken and one of those little bags of bacon sprinkled here and there and top of that with pepper and cheddar cheese. Then that's topped with the rest of the tater tots and a little more pepper and cheddar cheese. Then I get about 1 cup of milk and mix in some ranch (packet or dressing) and pour that over the top. So delicious!!! It's one of my husband's favorites.
This is awesome! So good and easy to prepare. My only change next time will be to use boneless skinless chicken thighs, and dice them up. The chicken can get a little dry using the white meat. Also, used the Oscar Meyer Bacon pieces in the pouch, yummy! Such a great recipe!