Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
This is a simple throw-together dish I came up with that is great for a Sunday after-church meal. Note: You can fry your own bacon for this recipe. I like the taste of bacon but cannot handle the lingering smell it leaves in the house when you fry it, so I just buy the jarred bacon for the few times a year I use it.
Top Review by Chef on the coast
The only thing different was I didn't use a crockpot! I layered everything in a 9x13 pan and baked at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I cut up the chicken as well. I was so hoping for leftovers. lol The family polished off the entire pan - this is a huge deal at my house! Congrats on a winner! IF I could give this more stars I definitely would. Made for the October 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
- 0.5 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits (I used Hormel brand)
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated colby cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom of the crock pot.
- Layer 1/2 the tater tots on the bottom of the pot.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
- Combine the two cheeses, and sprinkle 1/3 of it over the bacon and tots.
- Top cheese with the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top chicken with another 1/3 of cheese.
- Sprinkle with another 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
- Add remainder of the tater tots.
- Top with final 1/3 of the cheese.
- Pour milk over the top.
- Set crock pot to high and cook 3-4 hours.