Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy make-ahead dish for low carb diets.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 celery ribs, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 Chinese eggplant, sliced into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds and interior membranes.
- Under broiler or open gas flame, char skin of bell peppers.
- Put in plastic bag for a few minutes, then peel off skin.
- Cut peppers in to small pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp Olive Oil in a wok or large fry pan.
- Add 1 tsp Italian Seasoning and minced onion and celery.
- In about one minute, add mushrooms.
- Saute until onions are soft and mushrooms start to color.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp Olive Oil and when hot add eggplant and zucchini.
- Saute until vegetables start to color, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp water and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
- Combine all vegetables including tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the sliced cooked chicken and salt and pepper and mix again.
- Turn out into 2 greased pans and top with cheese.
- Bake at 375°F until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Half of the casserole can be frozen before baking, and baked later.