Recipe by Babushka
An easy dish for the busy cook. Combines tender cubes of chicken with spinach and creamy gouda cheese! One of my husband's most requested dishes.
- 680.38 g boneless chicken breasts
- 226.79 g frozen spinach, chopped
- 149.68 g smoked gouda cheese
- 59.14 ml nonfat milk
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml breadcrumbs (i use italian seasoned)
- 29.58 ml breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw spinach and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Chop chicken into cubes of about 1 square inch ( or 2.5 cm squared).
- Cook chicken in skillet with tbsp of vegetable oil until mostly cooked through. Do not cook through completely or chicken will get dry.
- Cut gouda into strips and melt it in 1/4 cup of fat free milk. (I usually do this in the microwave by cooking and stirring every few minutes).
- While cheese is melting, mix together the chicken and spinach in a casserole dish so that spinach is dispersed evenly throughout. If you have more chicken than spinach, add a bit more spinach keeping in mind it will shrink as it gets cooked!
- As soon as cheese is melted pour immediately over the chicken and spinach. Do not mix again! The cheese will melt through the layers as it cooks.
- Melt the butter and add to it the breadcrumbs.
- Using your fingers or a fork, crumble together the breadcrumb and butter mixture and sprinkle evenly over the top of the dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs and chili powder evenly over dish.
- Bake covered for about 35-40 minutes.