Recipe by Atiekay
My roommates in college constantly requested this recipe for dinner. It's quick, simple, and calls for ingredients most people have on hand. I've since adapted this recipe, but this is the "easy version".
- 2 cups rice (I use instant)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup salsa con queso (I use tostitos brand)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups salsa (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions, but substituting salsa for half of the water.
- Meanwhile cook chicken in chunks in a large skillet - deep if available. If not large enough transfer it to a pot when cooked.
- Add queso to cooked chicken.
- Add cheddar to hot rice.
- Combine the two mixtures.
- Add remaining salsa, to taste.
- Season with cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder.
- Some great add-ins to try are black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, or a jalapeno. They work best cooked with the chicken.