Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Took this recipe from an ad in one of those Sunday paper inserts. The recipe serves 4, and I would suggest that it be made for that many people. I made it for just my husband and myself, and it just wasn't quite as good as reheated leftovers.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 chicken breast halves
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder, and pepper in 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Sprinkle contents of dish with additional pepper and cheddar cheese. Cover and bake 45 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done.
- For a Mexican spin--omit pepper and onion powder. Add 1 teaspoons chili powder and substitute Mexican cheese.
- For an Italian spin--omit pepper and onion powder. Add 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Substitute 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan.
I made this according to the directions with the following changes: Instead of uncooked breasts I used 2 cups of cooked thigh and leg meat (what I had on hand) and I added 5 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon. Everyone in my house (there are 5 of us) ate this, including my 2 yr old and ultra-picky 10 year old. I will double it next time because if really does only serve 4. Great recipe!
I have this same recipe! I love it! I dlb'd the rice and cheese. And, sliced the chicken breasts into strips. YUMMERS! It was a little bland to begin w/, but, a little onion salt cured that itch! LOL Thanks for posting!
This was great. I did vary the recipe somewhat. I mixed the soup, water, onion powder and pepper in a sauce pan until just bubbly, then added the rice before putting in the casserole dish. I had some cooked, cubed chicken breasts so I added that to the top instead of the fresh chicken breasts. Other than the chicken being a little dry, this dish was awesome. I think since my chicken was pre-cooked, I could have used instant rice and cut the cooking time down and it would have still been good without drying out the chicken. I will certainly make this again. Another delish dish from Courtney!