Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was wonderful! The result was perfection. A Campbell's recipe that came in this Sunday's "Parade." So easy and real comfort food. I added one (1) can of Cream of Celery and 1/2 water, other 1/2 milk. Would also be good with some frozen broccoli flourets.
- 1 cup cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- MIX soup, water, rice, onion powder and black pepper in 2-qt shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper & salt.
- COVER and bake at 375* for 45 min or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done.
- UNCOVER and sprinkle cheese over chicken.
This was a very quick and easy meal to whip together and let it cook while we were doing some yard work! I didn't have everything it called for so I ended up tweaking it a bit to make it work for us, but it still turned out really good. I didn't have cream of chicken so used cream of cheddar instead and added garlic powder and paprika on top and ten minutes before it was done I put a bunch of mozz cheese on top and put it back in the oven uncovered.
I added some Sweet Paprika to the mix before adding the chicken and let it marinade for about an hour before cooking. It was great!
I followed the directions, but the rice wasn't cooked all the way after the 45 minute cooking time directed. We uncovered the dish and put it back in the oven for 15 minutes and everything turned out fine. I also added some onions, garlic and a few additional spices which made it taste pretty good. My family liked it - they didn't love it, but they liked it. I like that you can really make this dish your own by adding different spices, different cheeses, etc. Next time I think I'll add even more spices and some broccoli.