Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is also good served with linguine in place of spaghetti. This is a delicious casserole!
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 5 -6 tablespoons butter (for frying, about 5-6 tablespoons)
- 5 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (or use similar cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST al dente; drain and place in a bowl; toss with 1-2 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat; add in the chicken, and brown for about 2 minutes on both sides.
- Add in the sherry and 1/2 cup water; cover and reduce the heat to low, simmer for about 15 minutes or until cooked; drain but reserve the liquid.
- Remove the chicken from skillet and slice the chicken into about 1-inch pieces.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoon butter in the same skillet; add in the onions, garlic, thyme and sliced mushrooms; cook about 5-6 minutes over medium heat, or until tender.
- In a cup or bowl whisk together the flour with 1/2 cup broth, then add to the skillet along with the reserved sherry mixture and the remaining 1-1/2 cups broth; stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, shredded cheese and about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; stir until the cheese melts then season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with about 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubble.
- Serve over cooked pasta.