Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens - Can also be made with tuna.
- 6 ounces dried mostaccioli pasta
- 2 cups loose pack frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (6 oz)
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken or 9 1⁄4 ounces canned tuna, drained and broken into chunks
- 1 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- In large saucepan bring about 3 quarts water to boil. Add pasta. Return to boiling, cook for 9 minutes. Add frozen mixed vegetables. REturn to boiling, cook for 5-7 minutes more til pasta is tender but slightly firm and vegetables are crisp tender. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter till tender. Stir in flour and bouillon granules. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stirring till melted. Stir in cilantro or parsley. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta and chicken or tuna to the sauce, toss to coat. Spoon mixture into a 2 qt baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Arrange tomato slice halves on top of pasta mixture. Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes more until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.